Dr. Chao TIAN
180 Park Ave.
Florham Park, NJ 07932
Email: tian (at) research(dot)att(dot)com
Dr. Tian received the B.E. degree in Electronic Engineering from Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, in 2000 and the M.S. and Ph. D. degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Cornell University, Ithaca, NY in 2003 and 2005, respectively. He was a postdoctoral researcher at Swiss Federal Institute of Technology at Lausanne (EPFL) from 2005 to 2007, and then joined AT&T
Labs-Research, Florham Park, New Jersey. Dr. Tian received the Liu-Memorial Award at Cornell University in 2004 for excellence in graduate
study and research.
- Information theory: distributed source coding, multiple
descriptions, joint source-channel coding, broadcast channels;
- Quantization: multiple description quantization,
quantization analysis and design;
- Image/video coding and processing;
- Computer vision and computer algorithms.
- C. Tian, S. N. Diggavi and S. Shamai, "The achievable distortion region of sending a bivariate Gaussian source on the Gaussian broadcast channel,"
IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Oct. 2011.
- C. Tian, S. N. Diggavi and S. Shamai, "Approximate characterizations for the Gaussian source broadcast distortion region,"
IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Jan. 2011.
- C. Tian, and J. Chen, "New coding schemes for the symmetric K-description problem," IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Oct. 2010.
- C. Tian, S. Mohajer and S. N. Diggavi, "Approximating the Gaussian multiple description rate region under symmetric distortion constraints,"
IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Aug. 2009.
- C. Tian and S. N. Diggavi, "On multistage successive refinement for Wyner-Ziv source
coding with degraded side information," IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Aug. 2007.
Services, membership and others:
- Adjunct assistant professor: Columbia University, Department of Electrical Engineering
- Associated editor: IEEE Signal Processing Letters (2012-2014)
- IEEE Senior Member
- Conference TPC member: ChinaCom-08, NetCod-12
- Invited reviewers: IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory; IEEE
Trans. Communication; IEEE Trans. Signal Processing; IEEE Trans. Image
Processing; IEEE Signal Processing Letters; IEEE Trans. Circuit and
System on Video Tech.; IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Signal
Processing; ACM Trans. Multimedia Computing, Communications and
Applications; IEEE Trans. Circuit and System I; IEEE Trans. Pattern
Analysis and Machine Intelligence; Signal Processing (Elsevier); Signal,
Video and Image Processing (Springer).
My hometown: Harbin,
a cold but fun place.